Detrimental things can happen to our health whenever we are exposed to hazardous materials. However, this article will talk about the dangers of mold and when mold exposure become dangerous for us. It is important to note that mold is present everywhere, mold growth typically occurs in places that are humid. While mold does have an important part to play in the ecosystem (helping to decay matter), mold exposure can be extremely harmful to our health. This might result in great anxiety to people who might be exposed to mold on a daily basis in their workplace. This is why it is so beneficial to get a professional tester to conduct a mold inspection for your facility.
Common Types of Mold
There are many different kinds of mold that can be harmful to our bodies when we are subjected to prolonged exposure. Some of the most common types of mold include Stachybotrys Chartarum, Cladosporium and Penicillium. This is especially so whenever there is a moist environment for the mold to grow and reproduce. In these environments, you might be exposed to the mold spores and experience respiratory issues such as breathing difficulties and wheezing. You might also start to develop allergies to the mold and a weakened immune system. However, when does it start becoming dangerous?
The Dangers of Mold
We first have to understand that mold is not dangerous on its own. What is causing these health problems is actually the exposure to the mold spores and the mycotoxins. For most of the ones who experience adverse reactions to mold exposure, it is usually because they are already allergic to the mold or have pre-existing health conditions such as asthma or HIV. Note also that prolonged exposure to damp environments can have detrimental impact on your lung function. However, some people might not even see any symptoms.
Allergies to mold can be caused by breathing in mold spores for prolonged periods. This might cause your immune system to react badly and overreact. As a result of this, you might feel more unhealthy and this shows itself in the body as allergies.
Some of the things that you might experience include congestion, irritation in the throat and nose, non-stop sneezing and coughing, and watery eyes. As mentioned, mold exposure is most likely a bad thing for people who already have pre-existing health conditions. They might experience more serious symptoms like fevers and pneumonia.
Usually, most of us associate black mold with the ill-effects of mold exposure. Black mold, or Stachybotrys Chartarum, is usually found in places with water damage. When the mold spores of this strain of fungi starts to reproduce, it produces mycotoxins. When we are exposed to mycotoxins in dangerous quantities, we might be at higher risk of mold poisoning. Some of the symptoms of mold poisoning include skin rashes, chronic fatigue, stiffness in the joints, unexplained weight gain and even numbness.
The danger of mold is that it can be impossible to spot. The spores are airborne and microscopic. This means that we are always in danger of a mold infestation. If you are exposed to mold spores for prolonged periods of time, chances are that you will see a decline in health and symptoms of allergies and mold poisoning.