Asbestos is used typically in everyday products including schools, buildings, warehouses, and several industrial facilities thanks to its high fiber strength and heat resistant characteristics. When materials containing asbestos are damaged, however, asbestos fibers can be released into the air; causing serious health issues to those who inhale them. If you are planning to renovate, revamp, or refurnish a commercial unit in NYC, it is recommended to hire professionals for asbestos testing before proceeding with the construction works.
When Should You Engage Asbestos Inspection Services?
When materials containing asbestos are disturbed, they will release harmful fibers into the surrounding areas. If you are planning to remodel, renovate, or refurbish your office, retail store, or any kind of commercial unit, you may want to have your property inspected for asbestos materials before starting your construction project.
Companies that provide asbestos inspection services will take samples for analysis and they will advise you on the best possible way to eliminate and reduce the exposure to asbestos fibers during construction work.
Here is what you can do to prevent exposure to asbestos fibers:
- Check asbestos-containing materials regularly for any signs of wear and tear or damage.
- If you notice abrasions, water damage, or any kind of wear and tear, seek immediate help from asbestos testing professionals.
- Ensure that no individuals are in the area with the damaged asbestos materials.
What to Do When You Have An Asbestos Problem?
There are two kinds of actions that can be taken when you encounter an asbestos problem. Repair works can be done by either sealing or covering the asbestos materials to ensure that the asbestos remains in place. It is not recommended to do such repair work yourself unless you are a highly trained asbestos professional.
- Sealing: Sealing, also known as encapsulation, involves binding the asbestos fibers together with a sealant. This is to ensure that the asbestos fibers are not released into the air during a remodel or renovation work.
- Covering: Another method of containing asbestos is to enclose them with a special material to prevent the release of the asbestos fibers.
- Removal: If asbestos-containing material has been severely damaged and cannot be repaired, complete removal of all asbestos-containing material may be required. It is highly recommended to hire accredited asbestos removal companies as improper removal can increase the exposure to asbestos fibers.
Accredited Asbestos Inspection Services
As mentioned earlier, hiring the right professionals for asbestos inspection services is essential before you start your remodeling or renovation work. These professionals can help you inspect your property, assess the conditions, and take samples of suspected asbestos materials for thorough testing. Additionally, asbestos inspectors can make sure that the asbestos contractors who are repairing, cleaning, or removing the asbestos materials follow proper protocols.
At Iris Environmental Laboratories, our knowledgeable asbestos inspectors can help you monitor the air to ensure there are no asbestos fibers during your renovation project. Our committed professional will perform a complete visual examination and collect samples for the necessary laboratory analysis. Reach us at 800.908.6679 if you require any assistance for asbestos testing services for your upcoming project.