Feeling sick after a day’s work and not knowing the cause of it? If you are experiencing more than the common cold such an allergic reaction, constant sneezing, shortness of breath, or itchy eyes; you might have inhaled or encountered mold. Mold can grow just about anywhere, on the ceiling, corners, curtains, and under your office desks. Whether or not you are allergic to mold, mold can cause serious health issues. Here is what you need to know to understand the symptoms of household mold exposure.
Symptoms Of Household Mold Exposure
- Skin rash: When exposed to mold, some individuals can develop mild or severe skin rash. When contacted directly with mod, your skin can become inflamed. In some cases, however, you may also develop skin allergies from inhaling the fumes produced by the mold. When such a situation occurs, seek immediate help from a dermatologist to determine your skin condition.
- Red and itchy eyes: Being exposed to mold can cause your eyes to be irritated and will often result in redness. When exposed for prolonged periods, your eyes can appear to be watery and may sometimes result in uncontrollable itchiness. It is recommended to get your area checked for mold if you experience the same symptoms regularly.
- Headaches: Experiencing consistent headaches or migraines every time you are at work or at a specific location for long hours? Household mold exposure can cause recurring headaches to people due to breathing in mold constantly. If you notice you or your co-workers are experiencing the same symptoms regularly, it is recommended to get your vicinity checked for mold.
- Fatigue: Feeling tired even if you are not doing much at work? When exposed to mold for prolonged periods, your body will result in fatigue for days even if you are getting sufficient sleep. This can sometimes be a system of household mold exposure.
- Sore throat: If you are experiencing hoarseness or a raw sensation when swallowing, you might have a sore throat due to inhaling mold spores. Mold spores can irritate the sensitive membranes of your throat and can stay there for several days or even weeks. Visit your doctor if you are experiencing sore throats regularly.
- Shortness of breath: Individuals with a history or currently have asthma can be allergic to mold spores. Mold spores can cause serious respiratory difficulties; resulting in shortness of breath. This symptom can be triggered by the mold in their workplace or in a commercial area which can cause an allergic reaction to those with a weaker immune system.
- Sinus: More than just a runny nose, having sinus constantly can be a result of being exposed to mold. Individuals can have allergic nose reactions when mold spores are inhaled for long periods. If your runny nose persists, it is recommended to visit a healthcare professional who specializes in allergies.
Asbestos and Mold Inspections
If you, your colleagues, or your loved ones are showing signs of the above-mentioned symptoms, it is recommended to get your commercial space checked immediately. Prolonged period of household mold exposure can cause serious health problems when not rectified immediately. At Iris Environmental Laboratories, we provide all kinds of asbestos and mold inspections for a wide variety of industries. Schedule an appointment with us or reach us at 800.908.6679 to ensure a better air quality environment.