Can I Die From Black Mold?

For most people, exposure to black mold does not pose a huge threat because they will not even fall such. However various groups have reported several illnesses after such exposure. For example, very young children and seniors are likely to fall ill. In addition to that, someone with a weak immune system or one suffering from other illnesses will be affected. Experts say that even though these people may exhibit some symptoms, it does not expose them to serious risks such as death. So, how do you know that you are safe? The following information will help you.

Understanding Mold

No matter where you live, you must have witnessed the growth of mold on various surfaces. These tiny plants grow in damp areas with little light, and that is the reason they are mostly found inside buildings. The black type is one of the most common ones, and it appears like dark sports of a surface. It can grow on walls, fabrics, floors, decaying organic materials, and many others. Because of its color, it is easy to be detected and removed before causing a lot of damage to structures. According to medical reports, a group of eight children fell ill after being exposed to black mold in Cleveland, Ohio in 1993. That is why there has been a lot of debate about the risks associated with mold.

Black Mold Exposure Symptoms

Although black mold is generally harmless, it contains toxins that can react with the body and lead to various illnesses. People who inhale it tend to cough or develop respiratory problems. In addition to that, it can lead to an itchy nose, eyes, and throat. Various people have also reported that when they come into contact with the tiny plants, they develop a running nose and dry skin. Because of that, no matter how harmless it may seem, it is important to protect yourself from mold exposure.

Diagnosis of Black Mold Exposure

The first thing to do when you notice that you aren’t feeling well after mold exposure is to see a doctor. Even when the symptoms are mild, it is good to be checked early to avoid the risk of developing more serious complications. It gives the doctor a chance to gauge your sensitivity level and how the exposure affects your health. There will be a physical exam to find out if such exposure has put you into any danger. For instance, the doctor may want to know how your lungs sound when you inhale or exhale. An allergy test will be conducted and your medical history analyzed for further actions.

Various black mold treatments can be applied depending on the level of exposure. Most of the time, reactions come in the form of allergies. IN the case of allergies, limiting your exposure may be enough to mitigate the symptoms. However, you should also contact an expert and let them help with the removal of black mold as well as proofing the house from future infestations.