What Happens When You Are Exposed To Black Mold?

Although many people think that exposure to black mold is extremely harmful to our health, there is actually not much evidence to back this statement up. The truth is, there is not much research that can prove that black mold causes cancer and lung disease. Mold can be found almost everywhere with the existence of airborne mold spores. When they are found in healthy amounts, they do not pose a threat to our bodies. However, it is true that some people are definitely more sensitive and susceptible to the effects of mold exposure. This is why you should definitely get a mold test done for your office or commercial building.

What is Black Mold?

Black mold actually just refers to a type of mold called Stachybotrys chartarum. While there are no research findings to back up the idea that the exposure to this type of mold is more dangerous than others, some people are just more sensitive to the mold spores. As a result, this group of people might develop respiratory problems after inhaling the mold spores. However, exposure to a large amount of mold spores could cause adverse health effects to people. Thus, we should all be concerned about preventing exposure to mold and taking the necessary actions to ensure that there are no mold infestations.

Is Black Mold Harmful?

Most people believe that toxic mold or black mold can lead to dangerous health issues. This is because they believe that the mycotoxins can affect our bodies in a detrimental manner. There are some researchers who have found a correlation between exposure to these mycotoxins and bad health. One of these problems include mycotoxicosis, which is the medical term for mold poisoning. However, mold exposure has been known to cause other health issues such as the following:

  • Unexplained pains and aches
  • Serious headaches
  • Mood swings
  • Nosebleeds
  • Unexplained memory loss

Possible Allergies

If you already have allergies, chances are that you would be more sensitive to mold exposure than other people. When you come into contact with mold spores, you might experience the following symptoms:

  • Irritation to the nose causing a blocked or a runny nose
  • Dry cough
  • Watery and bloodshot eyes
  • Rashes on any part of your body
  • Difficulties in breathing
  • Sinusitis
  • Sore throat

If you have more serious allergies to mold, you might find that these symptoms can become more severe. This is also true for people with pre-existing medical conditions such as asthmatic people and individuals with lung problems. For people with a normal, healthy immune system, normal exposure to such molds should not pose that big a threat. On the other hand, if you are suffering from chronic illness or undergoing medical treatment, you might be at a higher risk of infection. If you happen to fall under these categories, it would be wise to hire a professional to check for mold infestations.

Toxicity of Mold

The common misconception is that black mold is the only type of mold that is dangerous to us. However, most molds can produce mycotoxins. Typically, mycotoxicosis can occur when you ingest foods that have become moldy. In more rare cases, people have gotten serious illnesses and even died from fungal exposure at home.