Moisture is the main cause of mold growth. Although mold exists everywhere, illnesses and other problems occur when there is an imbalance of mold level in the building, including residential and commercial buildings where water damage has occurred and the construction materials used in the building becomes a suitable medium for toxic mold to grow. Mold toxicity is easily misdiagnosed as many practitioners are not well-versed with the symptoms and the illness. It is also commonly mistaken with mold allergies where sufferers inhale mold spores which causes symptoms similar to hay fever. However, toxic mold releases volatile toxic vapors leading to a chronic inflammatory response, which usually affects only certain vulnerable individuals depending on their genetic build. Typically, mold toxicity could cause health issues such as shortness of breath, headache, sinus problems and diarrhea which can be recognized and treated.
Who Might Suffer from Mold Toxicity
Some people who live or work in the same place may not suffer any symptoms despite being exposed to mold growth. However, genetic vulnerability might cause only certain people to suffer from mold toxicity. People with generally weaker immune systems may also be susceptible, such as transplant patients, people who are going through cancer treatments and people with HIV. Other people who are also at risk will include asthma or allergies sufferers, elderly as well as infants and children.
Common psychiatric symptoms that are known to be caused by mold toxicity include:
- Confusion or disorientation
- Trouble concentrating or staying focused
- Mood swings
- Slowed learning of new knowledge
- Memory loss
- Appetite swings
- Word recollection issues
Other Common Symptoms
Other health problems that are also very commonly caused by mold toxicity:
- Light sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Watery eyes
- Joint pain
- Sweats especially night sweats
Never ignore the warning signs and always a consult a doctor if any of the symptoms show and mold toxicity is suspected. If diagnosed, it remains treatable although it might take a long period of time. The most effective measure is to hire professionals to do an inspection of the suspected premise. If the results ascertain the presence of toxic mold in your site, it is strongly advised to engage professional remediation services from a company to remove the mold as the presence of the toxic mold as well as attempts to remove the mold on your own could be highly dangerous if mishandled. The remediation service company should also conduct a Clearance Air Test after remediation services that proves the mold level is back to normal.
Mold toxicity remains relatively unfamiliar to many practitioners and the diagnosis provided may not always be accurate. Identifying the problem and finding a way to remediate it as soon as possible may prevent future problems and frustrations. For any suspicions of mold growth in your compound, Iris Environmental Laboratories can help provide mold inspection services. Give us a call at 1800-908-6679 to find out more on our mold inspection services or simply drop us a message.