Mold is a serious problem that can end up costing you thousands of dollars in repair and medical bills. Mold is a fungus that thrives in moist spaces. It replicates rapidly and does so by producing spores that are then carried in the air. When inhaled by people or pets, they can trigger serious allergic reactions and even cause respiratory complications. Mold also causes discoloration of walls and any other surfaces that they grow on. This is apart from the foul odor that results from mold infestation.
Mold infestations are typically found in places where there is moisture and where there is poor ventilation. Buildings that have suffered flooding, leaks, or are poorly ventilated are prone to mold problems. Here are some ways in which you can easily spot signs of mold growth.
Buildings that are properly ventilated tend not to have moisture problems. A high buildup of moisture in your office or home is typically an indicator that you have a mold problem (or you will have one very soon). You can tell that your building has a higher-than-normal moisture buildup when you notice that your windows are collecting condensation or fogging up. When you have a moisture-buildup, you might also notice that some rooms are constantly damp. Such places can include laundry rooms, basements or attics.
If you have a mold problem in your home or office, another tell-tale sign is a musky odor that doesn’t go away. The closer you are to the area with the mold growth, the stronger the smell will be. Keep in mind that sometimes mold grows in the AC system due to water leaks. When this happens, the AC system may distribute the musky odor around the house making it harder to trace the source. This is why it is critical to engage mold inspection experts as their experience and training enable them to quickly trace the source of the smell.
When you have old fabrics, wood, and other items stored in the attic or basement, you inadvertently give mold a source of nourishment. Mold thrives on such substances and if you have such items stored somewhere, it is a good place to start your search for mold infestation. If you are wondering how best to store such items without attracting mold, invest in airtight plastic containers. Mold cannot grow on plastic and if the items are stored in airtight plastic containers, mold cannot reach these items.
Mold spores, when inhaled, cause all manner of allergic reactions. One of the ways that you can tell if you have a mold problem is if you or an occupant of a building are having allergic reactions. These include runny noses, sneezing, and skin problems. These kinds of reactions typically tend to disappear when the affected person is not in the building or when the AC is turned off.
Looking for top-notch mold inspection and testing services for your home or office? Get in touch with Iris Environmental Laboratories! We provide mold inspection services to help our clients keep their homes safe. Call now at 1800-908-6679 to find out more about our mold inspection services or fill up our online form to be contacted by our consultants.