How Asbestos Testing Can Potentially Save Lives

It is a scientific fact that the higher amount of asbestos one is exposed to, the higher the risk of that person getting inflicted with an asbestos-related disease. The way people get exposed to asbestos is through means of physically inhaling the asbestos fibers. This is possible because these fibers are microscopic, meaning that it isn’t visible to the eye. They are can also become airborne after the material has been disturbed. This article will tell you why asbestos testing is so important.

What Exactly is Asbestos?

Asbestos is actually a group of 6 naturally-occurring needle-like minerals that are harmful to the health of those who have been exposed to it. The exposure to asbestos has been seen to cause serious health problems such as mesothelioma and asbestosis. In the worst cases, the material has been known to cause cancer and even death in those affected.

It is commonly used as a material for indulation and fireproofing but what many people do not know is that it is not currently being banned in the United States. If your home was renovated or built before the 80’s, chances are that your property would have materials which contain asbestos. It can even be found in shingles and tiles. If you suspect that there are parts of your home which contain asbestos, it is important to note that you should never damage or disturb that part at all. Trying to remove these materials without professional help might cause you to inhale dangerous asbestos fibers.

Asbestos Testing

As mentioned above, if you think that there are asbestos-containing materials inside your house, it is only wise that you seek professional help. You should definitely consider working with professionals who can help you carry out asbestos testing. Remember that this is important because asbestos fibers cannot be seen by the naked eye. Professionals in the field will be able to collect samples and get them tested in the laboratory without disturbing any of the material. If you attempt to check them yourself, you risk getting the needle-like fibers getting stuck in your lungs. Bear in mind that once these fibers have been lodged deep in your lungs, it is extremely difficult to get rid of them. The accumulation of the fibers can cause severe inflammation that can impair breathing ability and lead to other more serious health issues.

Some Symptoms of Asbestos Exposure

Some of the symptoms that you might experience should you become exposed to asbestos include but are not limited to:

  • Difficulty in breathing, hoarseness of the throat and uncontrollable wheezing
  • Getting a cough that doesn’t seem to go away no matter what you do
  • Noticing blood after you cough
  • Acute pain in the chest
  • The swelling of the neck or the face
  • An unexplained weight loss
  • An unexplained fatigue that doesn’t seem to get better

Scientific Asbestos Testing

Apart from being invisible to the eye, the asbestos fibers are also very hard to detect because they don’t smell or taste like anything. If you work with a reliable company that can provide you a trustworthy asbestos testing service, you will be able to have a peace of mind if it turns out there is no asbestos in your home. Moreover, if there is, you will be able to decide the next best course of action which is to remove it from your home.